Friday, May 20, 2011

The Other Laura


Many moons ago when I lived in Maryland for a month before moving into the District, I decided to go free Yoga classes on Sundays in DC.

I lived behind these pieces of Ghanaian fabric and commuted to Yoga.

The first day I was there I met another girl named Laura. I realized rather quickly she is pretty much my long-lost twin; she had moved to DC after graduation to intern at Nat Geo. I had moved to intern at the Smithsonian. We are both named Laura. We both like yoga. And when she told me she wanted to walk across America, I fell in love.

When I finally moved into the city, I found out that my house was..a block away from hers. Admidst our busy schedules, we tried to hang out whenever possible, and any sort of "crisis" or "thing" I was going through she could automatically relate to... OR was going through the same thing! Gentlemen. Careers. Life goals. Moving to France? Walking across the country?

Long story short, when I moved out, Laura took over my room because her lease was running out and her plans changed abruptly, giving her an option to spend more time in DC. We stay in touch, and I love the girl to death. More importantly, Laura has a blog where she writes daily haiku's, and I'm in love with them.

Some favorites:

You'll get no answer.
Alone (goes on forever).
Mountains always win.

and

(I believe in this)

I believe in this:
There are infinite beliefs.
All fine. This is Mine.

Read the rest of her beautiful poetry here. Do it! Do it. CLICK CLICK CLICK!


No comments:

Post a Comment